Saturday, October 07, 2006

From Emp No:34428 to Emp No:D0399...


I just can't believe that I bought such an expensive shoes *again* just because some unearthly moron rode over my foot so carelessly, as if, it was just another mannequin put up by Wal-Mart on a rusty-rickety bike showcasing another breed of sport shoes by Puma. By golly, it WAS expensive.
Anyway, that is how my separation-day from Infy ended. I lost my dear-dear shoes, all due to galloping act by a demented driving maniac. "THEN" I felt like crying! Finally.. Eh?
So here, I am in my new office. Comparing 9:30 am to 9:00 pm, each minute, whether what I left behind was more convenient, lucrative, better or justified? Or what lies ahead of me is what I always wanted.
There have been pros and cons. Just like anything else. In short I have loved my new office, and still in short, I miss my old office people. [At least as if now]
My first thought on reception couch waiting and juggling with feelings. "Naa... none except Infosys are, such a maintenance freak!" I mean, look at that pond over there, there is a line of dust, on edge. On second thoughts there was a layer of sediments on top of my television at home. But office is office. Infy stays spick and span better than any other organization. Everything is so organized and process oriented. No place for exceptions.
Brilliant, and yet, that is what make it loose that much sought after "Personal Touch"?
And then with a "jolt" I broke my long chain of thoughts! That young face of not-so-pretty girl, looming in my eyes, with a but-so-obvious question "Are you priy....aaank?"... I am on my feet with a smile suddenly out from nowhere... "You bet! I am!".
So she takes it from there. I have a short intro. Quick formalities. A handout given, with all people to be contacted for all the main things. Just like what Infosys would have done. Only thing, that was different was, out of 20 odd things, “same” person handled 17. He was my one stop solution. And then I said to myself, welcome to Tavant Technologies! No fatigue of sprawling campus. :-)
He gave me my id, my bank form, my business card, my desk number and basically everything that I would have needed. I went up the lift, to just find a desk, with nametag on board, "Priyank Gupta" and a water bottle neatly and freshly filled with water, with a nametag attached to it too. Now this is the feeling that I never got in last one year. The feeling of "identity", and probably that is one of the main secret reasons I came here. There is no "efficient" web interface to get my request done, instead my sysadmin walks up and says, hey Priyank... I’ll give new ids sometime soon. They need to be generated in Santa Clara office. Till then, u can have this system, and feel free to browse. No intranet access. But Internet is there. Be at home!. And he's off.
Well, first things first! I check is "what server, what filtering, what script for access”.... Now here is something, "touching". No scripts, no proxies! Sniff... I just couldn't hold back those two beads of pure emotions roll down. Not after a whole year of "http://sparsh/citi.pac" and that cookie settings for yahoo messenger! this was something that made me ecstatic!
74-kbps as actual download speed?? Man I love this place. Not bad huh!?
Now comes the most apprehensive part. Well, what kind of work? I know people, who are stacking up gold doing nothing. I don't want to be one of them. I want to do, what I think, I can't! :-) And if they can give me that, I am all set to ROCK! Well, as it turns out they have a panache for reading minds. I got assigned to two projects simultaneously. One with Weblogic, Java, J2EE and other one with .NET, yet my role restricted in second to "boggling" perl scripts for "raw data filters" of compressors in heavy machinery! Well.. At least it sounds wacky to you guys!! Huh? To me, it is a heavenly experience coding all that stuff! I just loved it.
Just when I thought I was getting used to all the stuff around; I happen to attend weekly meeting of project team. And sure, I did meet those two "heroes of the fortnight" who were rewarded with suitable "Office Bags" which clearly said on back, "I made a difference...” Man! Talk about motivation and its right here! :-)
When I came back to my desk, I realized, my bag was growing old and is all tattered up. So what I attained by this much-feared change was a rejuvenated spirit to prove myself! And am on it! Are you??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home